This week I underwent some equipment changes/additions. First, on Wednesday, my "carry everywhere/beater" Nikon D3000 was sold & replaced with another Nikon D5000, one with more usage & some body imperfections not present on the "fine China" one. So now I have two D5000`s--one that's sort of a "beater" that my wife & I carry everywhere, and the one in totally mint condition which I've had for sometime and only I use, for more serious occasions.
Today, though, the biggie--my Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G lens arrived (link). This is a lens which I've owned before, in older incarnations. This is the latest one, unlike the older ones it works fully properly with my D5000 (the other versions would require manual focusing with it). This lens was just announced about 3 months ago--I've been waiting for such a lens for sometime, and was glad to get one.
It's a lens that is ideal for portraits, among other reasons because you can make a really blurry background to make your subject stand out. I don't see the wife using it, since it has no zoom at all, but me--I'm apt to be using the snot out of this thing.
It's a lens that is ideal for portraits, among other reasons because you can make a really blurry background to make your subject stand out. I don't see the wife using it, since it has no zoom at all, but me--I'm apt to be using the snot out of this thing.
So today I tried the combo out, and got these 2 cute snaps of Adrian. Notice the very very blurry background--that was deliberate, and is a hallmark of what this lens can do. It is capable of outstanding results, and these 2 shots are sort of a "dry run" at that, practice shots if you will.
Click to enlarge (20110923_162655_nl_b_d5000`2)
Click to enlarge (20110923_162852_nl_b_d5000`2)
I'm REALLY looking forward to getting down with this lens--with the right opportunities & the right application of techniques on my part, it can produce some outstanding portraits. More to come--these 2 were just sort of a "dry run" more practice-type of shots. Much better ones are very much possible, and I look forward to sharing them.


No comments:
Post a Comment